After Mortgage Preapproval
Congratulations! You've been preapproved for a mortgage and have started searching for your new home! Here are some things to keep in mind once you've gotten your preapproval, all the way up until your loan has funded and escrow has closed.
- Don't apply for new lines of credit (car loans, credit cards, personal loans, etc).
- Don't make any large purchases (furniture, appliances, etc).
- Don't make large deposits into your accounts without being able to provide proof of the where the funds came from. For example, if you sell a vehicle, be sure to have a bill of sale. Your lender will ask for documentation.
- Don't change jobs or quit the job you have.
- Don't open new accounts.
- Don't forget to file your taxes.
- Don't miss any credit card or loan payments.
- Don't wait until the last minute to provide your lender with requested information/documentation. Time is of the essence. The faster you get them the items they need, the faster they'll be able to process your loan.
When in doubt, always ask your lender if what you're about to buy, sell, open, or transfer will affect your ability to qualify for the mortgage or if it will raise any red flags in underwriting. Following these guidelines should help your loan process go more smoothly and get you into your new home.